Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The weight of water

Or more specifically, the weight of water suspended in air. This morning it was supposed to be raining. But instead of coalescing into nice storm clouds and releasing themselves to fall to the parched and hungry ground a lot of really stubborn water molecules were hanging out suspended in mid air and really f*&*ing with my lungs. Wet air is heavy. I'm sure really drowning is horrible but that feeling of drowning while running that I get in this kind of humidity also really sucks.

So even though we did a workout that I really enjoyed in Boot Camp Round I (Ab-a-Rama) I struggled to breath my way through it this morning. I don't know, maybe I'm just not wired to have TWO empowering workouts in a row?

I haven't talked much about food in this blog, but it is becoming more of a struggle. I'm at the point where I'm getting bored with what I'm eating and I'm rationalizing a lot of extra calories because I'm bored. I don't want to turn this blog into a food diary but I may talk about it more than I have because it helps to be accountable.

I recently explored some other blogs on Spark People and came across a reference to www.pastaqueen.com . Over the past few days I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading her archives from the past two and a half years as she has lost 196 lbs. I highly recommend her. She was discovered online and has a book coming out in May - Half Assed: A Weight Loss Memoir. It's amazing how much of her experience has resonated with me despite some of the obvious differences. I especially am digging her shift from focusing on weight loss goals to focusing on fitness goals. She ran a mile in 9:30 and recently ran her first 5K in 32 minutes and change. I'm totally inspired and ready to challenge her numbers! Anyway she has motivated me to really examine a lot of things for myself and has given me some new ideas for this blog. But that will come another day because right now I have to go home and figure out dinner.

I really really wish there was a personal chef in our budget! Clint cooked last night which I did REALLY REALLY appreciate because I walked in the house with that panicked feeling that I was hungry and unprepared and that the processed foods were going to sense my weakness and rise up and attack. So he saved me from that with a chicken breast and some small potatos and baked beans. Bless his heart, he's not real conversant with the vegetables! And although I really appreciate the ease of microwave steaming broccoli in just 4 minutes I'm sure there must be other options. Preferably that don't involve actual prep time. Or I may be forced to dip broccoli in ketchup like I did as a child.

Isn't genetic science and bioengineering sophisticated enough to make a chocolate cupcake flavored zucchini???? Really???? Why don't we put cloning on the back burner for a minute and focus on what's REALLY helpful people?

No comments: